Friday, May 11, 2012

Potty Training

We started potty training about 2.5 weeks ago and it has been.........interesting.  We went out and bought brand new Thomas the Train big boy underwear, and he loved them!  He'd put them on, run into our room, look at himself in the full length mirror and just giggle and cheer!  "Look at my underwear, mommy!"  adorable.  He got the pee thing down in about 2 days, the #2 situation has not worked as well.  That first day or two he went twice on the potty, but we've had lots of dirty accidents since.  We have tried bribery, excitement, candy rewards, everything.  He now says "I no poop on potty anymore!"  boo!  what do we do?? 

We have now regressed backwards into pull-ups.  It's too hard and nasty to change a dirty pair of underwear twice a day vs. a quick pull-up change, not to mention the loads of sanitizing laundry!  ugh.  I need help.  I need patience.  The kid is so stubborn.  He knows exactly what he's doing, too, which is the hard part.  He'll go hide in the closet or around the corner and yell "go away" if I try to come near.  Worse yet, if we catch him mid-go and try to get him to the potty, he'll have a bloody-murder throw down kicking screaming fit about it. 

My mom and mother-in-law keep telling me that patience is the key and to not get upset.  But how do you not get upset when they know how to do it, have done it before, yet deliberately disobey?  We have put the fun underwear away, up in the closet and he doesn't get to wear them anymore until he can be a big boy.  Makes me sad because I loved watching him strut around the house in his fancy pants! 




2 comments:

Monroe Family said...

I went through the SAME thing with Addison! She KNEW what she was doing and I was constantly upset/in tears. I finally listened to my mom, gave up and tried again in a few months. Everyone kept telling me - they are ready when they are ready and there is no changing that! Good luck!

Andy and Vanessa said...

Josh was the SAME way. He was "potty trained" for a month and then would run screaming that he didn't want to go potty, when we knew he had to go. He knew when he was going too. (This was around the time he turned 2.)It was SO FRUSTRATING. I asked my pediatrician and she said to wait. We waited almost a year (with him going on the potty occasionally, but in diapers the majority of the time) until he was about 3. He caught on so fast the second time around. I've heard so many people say that the same thing the person above said - they're ready when they're ready. Don't get discouraged! :)