Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Labor Day Weekend Festivities

Steven, James and I went to Fort Wayne for a little family get-away over the extended holiday weekend.   I picked up Steven from Ft. Knox after I left Lexington, and we drove together up to Ft. Wayne...this is a big deal...the last three times I've been home I've driven by myself, so it was so nice to have some company and help with James.  We made it home Thursday night and spent Friday visiting my grandparents and hanging out with family.  My Grandma Dowling also surprised me with an early birthday gift...an amazing massage with a friend of hers that has his own massage business.  It was excellent and perhaps one of the best I've ever had, I'll definitely be going back!  Thanks again Grandma and Grandpa D!

We spent Saturday at the wedding festivities of Lea and Nick Oberhausen.  Lea's parents are my Godparents and some of my parent's best friends, and they threw one heck of a party!  The wedding was absolutely gorgeous and so fun.  They had the BEST BAND I've ever heard.....EVER!  It was a three man band and they played everything from oldies, to rap, country, R&B, the blues, you name it.  They were so good, it took us a while to realize that it wasn't a DJ playing the originals!  The lead singer was so great at mingling with the party and playing what we all wanted to hear, he really was unbelievable!!  Wish we would've had him at our wedding!  Nice work finding him Fridley's!!

Finally, on Sunday we celebrated my Grandpa Quance's 85th birthday.  We all went to the lake for fun, sunshine, a fish fry, homemade ice cream, cake, and cornhole.  We were hoping to swim, but it didn't get much above 70, so that was out, but we had a blast anyway!  Happy Birthday Grandpa!

All of us kids and our spouses in the back of my parent's van on the way to the wedding.  We got a babysitter for James, so it was a fun and relaxing night out!
My handsome hubby and I at the Hors d’oeuvres hour.
Mom and Dad
My sister Anna and husband Scott
My brother Greg and wife Sarah
the vent was a little breezy...and fun  :)
Some of the most amazing women in my life.  So glad you're my family, love you ladies! 
The handsome men...they're all spoken for - so hands off!  :-) 
A toast to the bride and groom!
Lea and Nick Oberhausen.  Congratulations!
Mike and Trisha Fridley, my Godparents. 

HAPPY 85th BIRTHDAY GRANDPA!
Grandpa saying a few words and passing the toast around.  We have a little tradition of toasting the birthday boy/girl.  We go around the table and whoever wants to gives a toast. 
G'pa and James at camp.  James wasn't too sure about the grass...
Anna and Scott
me and Steven...check out Sarah sneaking in the picture  :-) 
Cousin John and his girlfriend Tonya
Sarah, and cousins Melissa and Dan
Aunt Anna playing with James
Some of the guys playing cornhole.  L to R: John, Dad, Uncle Doug, Greg
James stared at Scott for a long time, it was really sweet. 
Scott's parents Mike and Bev. 

The picture below is the ongoing joke in the Dowling family.  We Dowlings tend to fall asleep early...all the time...if we make it past 9:30 it's a big night!  I think this is 8:45 on Friday night and Greg is already passed out on the couch, and Dad was asleep on the other one.  Typical.  :-) 

3 comments:

Regan Huneycutt said...

Great photos of your family! I love the toasting tradition -- I might have to borrow that one!

Erin said...

Love the pictures Jenae! I'm glad you had a great holiday weekend. See you soon!

Anonymous said...

I had missed these pictures. I like them! When did Steven start to wear glasses? He looks good in them, which is unimportant if they help him see better. Grma GQ